Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Nasugbu Trilogy- Pico de Loro, Mt. Talamitam & Mt. Batulao Day Hike

Parrot's Beak
Climb date: June 2, 2013

A week before the climb, I saw the invitation of the organizer posted on facebook page of LUCP (Let's Unite all the Climbers in the Philippines). I contacted the organizer and made the deposit of Php750. At first I was hesitant if I could finished the 3 mountains in one day. I just told my self that I must try. So at 2:30 AM I hit the road with 16 strange mountaineers, I just meet them for the first time.

Pico De Loro (664 MASL)

From Pasay Rotonda, we arrived at DENR office in Ternate, Cavite at 4:15 AM. We registered and we started trekking at 4:30 AM, the jump-off point is 10-15 minutes walk away from the DENR office. We reached the campsite after 2 hours of trekking on a cool morning breeze. 

From the camp site, it offered the great view of our first peak called “Pico de Loro” or “Parrot’s Beak” or Mt. Palay-palay . It is called Parrot's Beak because the shape of the peak is similar to parrot's beak. A 5-10 minute climb is needed to reach the summit and finally I now believe in “Love at First Sight”. 

At the summit, a better view of the infamous monolith, the green scenery, the beach shoreline, and the islets, the wonderful view of nearby mountains like Mt. Talamitam and Mt. Batulao had welcomed us. 


the green scenery, the beach shoreline, and the islet
The Monolith- viewed from the summit of Pico De Loro

Our group picture at the summit of Pico de Loro
After taking pictures at the summit we headed to the monolith. I had realized how small and helpless I am against other God’s creations. 


Me at the top of the monolith
After we descended to Pico de Loro, we had a quick brunch and proceeded to our next peak, the Mt. Talamitam. 


Mt. Talamitam (630 MASL)

I don’t remember what time we started ascending to Mt. Talamitam (630 MASL). The midday/afternoon sun was scorching in heat. The trails has less trees only green vegetation and cogon grass that are dancing in the wind are abundant.

Mt. Talamitam
Glad I brought my umbrella :D
I almost gave up here because of the heat, but gladly we took several minutes of rest under the tree before continuing to the summit. 


Keep going, the view on the top is beautiful.
In the midst of our climb, the sun was gone and dark clouds were starting to appear together with lightning and thunders that warned us that rain will pour anytime. We only took several pictures at the summit and then we descended immediately to avoid the rain. The rain had poured on the other side of the mountain when we already reached the jump-off point at 4 PM. 


Group picture at the summit of Mt. Talamitam
Mt. Batulao (811MASL) 

When we reached the jump-off point of our 3rd and last target peak, the Mt. Batulao (811 MASL), the rain had just stopped. 


Mt. Batulao trail
We took the new-to-new trail instead of the original IT of new-to-old trail because the old trail became more muddy and slippery after the rain. 


Mr. Sun is about to set
We started ascending at around 5:30 PM and reached the summit at around 9 PM. It was a slow climb because we were already tired, it was a night trek and the muddy trails had added to the difficulty. 


Group picture at the summit of Mt. Batulao
Though I didn't have a clear view from the summit of Mt. Batulao because of the obvious reason, I will surely come back there on day hike anytime soon. I only enjoyed the sight of the tiny lights coming from the households and buildings beneath and the stars above the sky. 

I had already decided that I will not pursue the Mt. Batulao climb anymore after the Pico De Loro and Mt. Talamitam,  because my knees are shaking and my leg muscles are shouting of pain but because of the motivations of my new found trekking buddies, I continued and successfully finished my story, my experience of “Nasugbu Trilogy” –3 mountains in one day hike.
Me after 19 hours of trekking and climbing
Nang ang puso'y minsa'y nasugatan, bundok ang naging sumbungan.