Friday, February 7, 2014

Taste of Sagada

Rice Field
I only heard about Sagada way back later in 2012 when one of my friends went there and tell us stories about the caves and hanging coffins. Furthermore, Sagada was featured all over the local news tv since December 2013 because the weather was cold at around 10 Degrees Celsius. Sagada is not even in my bucket list of places to visit but when my friend Luigey invited me to join his organized 3D/2N Banawe-Sagada trip for Php 3000 all-in- Manila-Sagada transportation v.v., shared accommodation and tours, I gladly said yes.


It happened that when we visited Sagada, the town was staging of its town fiesta and the third "Etag (preserved pork meat)" Festival scheduled on January 31 to February 4, 2014. We arrived there past 1 o'clock in the afternoon and we didn't had a chance to witness their civic and street dancing parade. The town proper of Sagada is small and the streets are narrow so our service vehicle found it hard to maneuver because there were also lot's of people roaming on the street and other vehicles were parked on the side walk.

After we settled to our assigned room and rested for awhile, I and Euness (she's my college friend that I invited to join the trip) roamed the nearby restaurant just in front of our inn, the Salt and Pepper Restaurant.


Salt and Pepper Restaurant
We both ordered Dinakiw, a grilled pork served with few slices of tomato and rice for P150 or P180 if you prefer mashed potato instead of rice. The serving is big for my appetite and the food was good.
Dinakiw
We were quite surprised that when other customers arrived they were not entertained anymore because one of the crews said they are closed from 3 pm to 5 pm. We were lucky that we got there before the closing time. Salt and Pepper is a self service restaurant, the condiments are place in the cabinet in the middle of the restaurant. 

During the night, the same day, I only had ice cream for dinner because I was still full of our late lunch munch. Even the weather was so cold I  did try the Sagada's 'dirty' strawberry ice cream for P15. Any ice cream being sold on the street in the Philippines is called 'dirty' but it is not actually dirty. Sagada's strawberry ice cream was the best tasting strawberry ice cream that I ever had. I regret that I have no picture of it.

On the second day, Luigey prepared breakfast and lunch for all of us. After lunch, I and Euness roamed back to Salt and Pepper Restaurant  to look for dessert.

What we got was the blueberry cheesecake for P95/slice.


Blueberry cheesecake
The Salt and Pepper's blueberry cheesecake is creamy with buttery biscuit layer at the bottom and topped with fresh wild blueberries.  The cheesecake is not salty just perfect to my low salt taste buds. Though the slice was small, the penny was all worth it.

For our dinner on that day we were caught surprised that  most of the Sagada's establishments especially the restaurants, they close at around 7 pm that can be extended until 8 pm only. We didn't know about it of course and I never read any blog or reviews about it when I searched about Sagada before visiting it. We looked for restaurants to dine at past 7 pm, we went to Salt and Pepper again, Bana Cafe, Yogurt House, Lemon Pie House, Strawberry House but unfortunately all of the restaurants were already on last call order. We were not the only ones who got surprised, many other tourists were surprised too. There were many of us on the street looking for a restaurant to dine with. Sagada was celebrating its town fiesta and they expected large numbers of tourists and yet their restaurants were not ready for it. 

Gladly, some of Luigi's attendees prepared dinner and when they learned that I and Euness haven't eaten yet, they invited us to join them. That's when I realized why most of the inns has service kitchen for their guests.

On our last day, as early as 6 am we went to Lemon Pie House to taste their famous lemon pie for breakfast.


Sagada Lemon Pie House
And guess what?? The lemon pies were sold out. We were told that we should made reservations prior to that day. The only left was one slice of lemon pie for P25. There were 4 of us shared a slice of pie, each of us has one bite only. I don't know if it just because I had a bite only but the pie was really good, the tangy flavor with a bit of sweetness, the lemon pie was so refreshing. So for breakfast, we found ourselves cooking in the inns' kitchen.


Yoghurt House
Before leaving Sagada I bought yogurt from Yoghurt House. I tried their banana, granola and strawberry preserves yogurt for P90. The yogurt was good but it's not the kind of yogurt that you will crave for.


My Dining Tips in Sagada.

1. Be at any restaurant as early as possible, have an early breakfast, early lunch and early dinner.
2. Pinikpikan chicken is not a must try - most of the people from our group regretted ordering it.
3. Every meal cost starting from P100 even simple hotdog, egg and rice. Food is really expensive in Sagada, I don't know how it become expensive is it because it is a mountainous area or it is because of many white-Caucasian tourists visiting the area.
4. Most of the dining crews are not so pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment