Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Misadventure: The way to Anguib Beach

Anguib beach is a part of our Palaui Island Adventure in Sta. Ana, Cagayan. Before the year ends I never thought I was going to crossed-out Palaui Island from my bucket lists. It was my friend who suggested to us to visit Palaui Island but she backed out weeks before our trip. But because I didn't plan other destination for my birthday trip I pursued with this trip with other friends joining me.

A week before our tip I often check weather updates because typhoons come and go from month of November-December. I religiously prayed that we get a good weather on the day of our trip. 

When our boatmen fetched us from our resort around 7:30 am it was drizzling already. The waves were quite rough on the shore and we had difficulty of riding the boat. But when we started to sail away from the shore, the water was calm until we reached the port of San Vicente.

at San Vicente port
One of our boatmen registered us and secured our clearance to sail from the coast guard. I checked the weather condition a night before our tour and according to weather bulletin, the typhoon has exited already but there will be an isolated rainshower and thunderstorm in Cagayan Valley and the sea will be moderate to rough conditions. Another storm is forming but it's in Mindanao, still too far to affect the Northern Luzon. When we we got our clearance from the coast guard I thought it was still relatively safe to sail on that day.



And the bittersweet adventure begins.

As we sail away from the port I asked our boatman where will be our first destination, he said Anguib Beach. According to him it is a white sand beach that is comparable to Boracay sands so everyone got more excited. Going there will take up to 1 hour boat ride.


small boats sailing
Few minutes later I've noticed that the sea is getting rougher. The waves started to rock our boat but  I was still calm because there are other boats sailing as well. Another few minutes had passed I noticed that we were the only one sailing towards Anguib beach direction. I can't see other boats and any mountains, islands or landmass nearby anymore. It was like we were the only boat in the middle of nowhere. The waves were getting bigger and higher as we continued to sail. I asked our boatmen if our boat can withstand it but I don't know if they hear me or they really have difficulty in understanding Tagalog.

I was so scared during our waves battle so I didn't capture the big waves but below is a video of our first couple of minutes we're on the boat.



I was really got worried and scared when the waves were as high as 2-story building. We haven't fully recovered from passing a big wave but more big waves are coming. Even we are wearing a life vest it didn't pacify me.I was thinking what if our boat will be capsized? Where will we go when we can't see any land? How will we be rescued if there's no other boat around? I don't want to take a risk.

Since I was the one who invited my friends to join me in this trip I fear not only for my dear self but also for them. I asked them if it's okay to return and we will look for other places to visit. They agreed and all of us we're screaming that we must return that's when our boatmen made a sudden scary u-turn.  Yes, we missed the Anguib Beach but I don't regret it as long as we are safe.


Tips: Learn from us
1. The boat operator was recommended by our resort, since they fetched us from the resort we didn't meet our boatmen prior to our tour. On the day of our tour, we realized that the boat operator sent 3 young boatmen ages 17-21 years old. If I had other choice, I preferred more mature experienced boatmen that I can trust. The bottom line is, even if it is recommended by your resort, make sure to tell them your expectations.

2. If you aren't enjoying anymore, follow your instinct.


Here's my complete Cagayan Valley blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment